All photography by Viviane Sassen
(from left to right)
1 & 2. 'It Ain't Easy Being Green' Dazed & Confused Oct 2009
3. Fashion feature
4. AFRICA, Parasomnia, Parasomnia
5. AFRICA, Ultra-Violet, Prosper
6. Fashion feature
7. Fashion feature
8. 'In Bloom' for Dazed Digital July 2011, Styled by Katie Shillingford
9. 'It Ain't Easy Being Green' Dazed & Confused Oct 2009
10. Numero #115 Aug 2010
11. Fashion feautre
12. 'In Bloom' for Dazed Digital July 2011, Styled by Katie Shillingford
13. 'It Ain't Easy Being Green' Dazed & Confused Oct 2009
14. Fashion feature
15. Carven campaign A/W 2012
16. Carven campaign A/W 2012
17. AFRICA, Parasomnia, White Socks
18. Fashion feature
19. AFRICA, Parasomnia, ThreeMagi
20. Fashion feature, Another Man Mag
21. AFRICA, Parasomnia, Kine
22. AFRICA, Die Son Sien Alles
23. Fashion feature
Viviane Sassen, a Dutch photographer born in 1972, spent three years of her early child hood living in Kenya. At the age of sixteen Sasson returned to Africa from the Netherlands, and has since continued to travel and work there.
Her photography is very dream like and has a surreal quality to it. I love the way she plays with shadow, often obstructing the faces of her models. At times even her own shadow features in the picture but somehow she makes it look absolutley captivating and iconic. The series shot in Africa is called Parasomnia, which describes a category of sleep disorders that involve abnormal, unnatural movements and behaviours. Models take on an otherworldy apperance, contorting their bodies in a trance like state.
Sassen has worked for many leaders of the fashion industry including Miu Miu, Carven, Stella McCartney, Dazed & Confused and Numero magazine. Her fashion photography seamlessly travels the line between fashion and fine art.
In and Out of Fashion is her latest book, covering seventeen years of her work in fashion.